Halloween is tomorrow! You’ve already made sure that the house is decorated, the candy is bought, and costumes are made; it is never too late to discuss some tips with your kids on how to be safe while out Trick or Treating.
Here are few tips to go over with your little ones!
- Always have a responsible adult accompany smaller children
- Older kids going alone should always Trick or treat in groups; never alone!
- Bring a flashlight with you; it gets dark earlier than you think this time of year!
- Have glow sticks and/or glow necklaces available to help see where kids are at night.
- Only visit well-lit houses.
- Discuss a familiar route and set a curfew for older kids
- Never enter a house you don’t know or don’t trust.
- Never get into a car with a stranger.
- Examine candy before it is eaten.
- If you see something, say something. Tell your parent and contact local authorities of anything suspicious or dangerous.
- For Kids with cell phones/smart devices make sure that tracking is on (i.e. Find my I phone)
- Make sure all walkways are properly lit, avoid candles or any flames
- Do not leave candy outside unattended
- Keep pets inside and away from windows and doors as Trick or Treaters arrive
- Only hand out wrapped candy and try to avoid major allergens if possible (i.e.: peanut butter, nuts)
As parents, the safety of our kids is always the #1 priority! We hope that these refresher tips will help you and your kids enjoy a safe and fun Halloween!